Monday, October 12, 2009

overdue update

It’s been a month since I have a written a blog entry, and to those who have been following my blog, I apologize. Work has picked up and until a couple of weeks ago I was occupied with preparing for the LSAT. I had to fly to Nairobi to take my exam, and I took advantage of the occasion to stay there a few extra days and hang out with my friend Beza. Last week, I spent my first week in Ruyigi and it was pretty different from Cankuzo but just like Cankuzo all I did was work and go home. I was staying at UNHCR guesthouse, which was pretty nice. They prepared all my meals and had a tv with cable.

I can’t believe I am closing in on two months here in Burundi. On the one hand, it feels like I have been here for a long time (memories of life in the USA is already fading) and on the other it feels like I just arrived. I remember my first week here, I would compare life here to life in the USA and now I am so accustomed to everything here that it feels natural. Yesterday, I was talking with my co-worker, who is also an expatriate who arrived about the same time as me, about how everything is relative. When I first arrived in Burundi, in Buj, I couldn’t believe how underdeveloped it was and the sound of all the honking made me want to close my ears with my hands. Then, my second week they took me to Cankuzo and in comparasion Buj seemed ultra modern. The honking? It’s just normal. The power outages? I thought it was bad when it used to go off 3-4 times a week at 9pm, now I am happy if it’s on when I wake up.

For all the inconveniences here though, Burundi is really lovely and the beach is stunning. There are no tourists; few restaurants and you get to enjoy the view without all the distractions of a typical beautiful beach. Tomorrow, I am going to one of the interior beaches a couple hours away (we have a day off for a Burundian holiday,) and I am looking forward to seeing what those beaches look like. I would post pictures, but my camera got stolen from my suitcase on my way to Nairobi so for the moment I have no camera. I 'll try and take pics with my friend's camera and post it on this blog.

3 comments:

  1. Grrr to thievery! I know what you mean about the honking! It drove me insane in Ecuador, at first. Then I saw it as a sign of courtesy..."BEEP!" meant, "excuse me kind sir, I'm passing you."

    Yeah...do you get water outages too? I had a lot of that in Ecuador. I went 5 days without a bath until I decided enough was enough and jumped into the freezing river and bathed...haha.

    Haha @ "ex-pat"...you make it sound as if you'll live there forever... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. DEAR EXPAT,
    HAVE YOU ALREADY THOUGHT OF SPONSORING SOME POOR KIDS WHO WOULD LIKE TO GO TO SCHOOL BUT CANNOT PAY THE TUITION? THIS WOULD BE ONE OF THE BEST HELPS YOU CAN GIVE TO BURUNDIANS.AND IT WILL MAKE YOU HAPPY ALSO.
    GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
  3. what....I can't believe the went into your suitcase....well I guess it's a lesson learned!!! hopefulness they won't post ur pics on random website....

    love u sis & miss u!!!

    ReplyDelete